Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Day twenty-nine: Friends.


















The idea of the artist as a lone genius is inaccurate. Most artists know this, but still have it in the back of our heads. It's just like the idea that no living artist will ever make any money. I think both of these ideas are somehow tied to Vincent Van Gogh. The thing is, he did have friends, who contributed to his most productive times. He did make money while he lived, his brother was an art dealer who sold his paintings. Was he rich? No. Did he have a place to live, and food to eat and time to paint? Yes.

The contemporary vision of friends more often come from school, or from live/work spaces. Schools have always fascinated me, partly because of their ability to be non-confrontational ways of quickly building a solid community. I am lucky to work in education, to be surrounded by smart, active artists who think in ways that inspire and challenge me.

One of those friends today gave me this marvelous book today and included her notes inside. I am excited to start reading it soon. I'm also in the middle of three other books, Paula Rego by John McEwen, A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit, The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I've also been fascinated by the articles I've linked about Paula Rego, painting, education, and the art world. I found out about all of these things because of the incredible people I'm surrounded by. They aren't all artists, but they respect what art does and are curious about that process. Friends are very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment