Monday, February 10, 2014

Day seven: Mark Manders.

















When we were young, we were told to have heroes. Nowadays, we’re told to have mentors. Either way, it’s important to have someone to look up to, something to shoot for. For me, that is sometimes Mark Manders. His is one name you should know, and it’s important to remember the names, not just because these are human beings, not gods or idols. It’s important to remember because you could be an artist working at that level someday and when you are, it’s nice when people remember your name. Also, as you continue to make art, who you like influences what direction you go. It may be hard to find them again if you don’t know their names.

I have a pretty good memory, especially for names, and I know about a lot of artists. There are so many artists constantly popping up that there are also a lot I don’t know about, but I’ve got a pretty good roster stored in my brain. Chances are that no matter what you’re making, there is someone else you should know about. I’m not just talking about emulation or inspiration. I’m just talking about knowing. It’s important just to know about some things, regardless of whether or not they have an immediate practical use.


My first experience with Mark Manders was a solo exhibition at the UCLA Hammer Museum, my favorite space in LA hands down, maybe my favorite exhibition space anywhere. I have never been disappointed with a show there. Anyways, I really love all of his work, I think it is smart and simple and beautiful and weird. The best thing about it though, is the way it constantly surprises me. One piece that was especially haunting, was two unfired red clay dogs. I think they were dogs. The form was simplified in a way that blurred the line of what exactly you were looking at. There were two, one smaller than the other, and they were laid down on grey carpet and covered with a very thin film of matte plastic. The light was dim in the space. It was so spare, but there was something about the way it all worked together that punched me lightly in the stomach, something about that work and space that felt electric and timeless and peaceful all at once.  I hope you have a chance to see his work someday, to experience it in a space. Until then, this blog has some pictures of his most recent installation up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment