Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Day fifteen: Reaffirmation.

















The day before yesterday I spoke about the value of art and what artists give back to the world. Then yesterday I wrote about Samsara and Baraka. And just like that I felt all of the emotions that I had decried. I am so damn lucky. My place in the world is so sound. I don’t spend most of my moments focused on my survival and the survival of those I love. Who am I to make art, who am I to do this thing that no one needs when there is so much that so many are lacking?

Then today, this.

At the end of the day, there are the two quotes that I love below.

It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day for lack of what is found there. - William Carlos Williams
Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive. The world needs more people who have come alive. -  Jonathan Harris

We get just one life in this world. I have friends who died too young, family that have survived and are currently struggling with cancer. I’m constantly reminded how precious life is. This is what I want to do with it, and I hope, every day, that it does something good for someone besides me, that it’s not the selfish act that I sometimes feel like it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment