Sunday, February 9, 2014

Day six: Priorities and decisions.























My plan was to write every day. Then, I skipped yesterday. I could get down on myself for that, and berate myself for deviating from my master plan less than a week after I began this venture. But I will not.

Instead I will say this. Being an artist is about priorities. We have to decide to prioritize our goals and what steps we take toward them every day. It is not one single decision, but the active process of making those decisions every single day. Yesterday, I prioritized work and attending an opening that my new painting was included in over writing in my blog or making art.

It's also about decisions. I have spoken to many artists about wanting to be illustrators. Truth be told, they don't really know what illustration is, they just know what they think it looks like. The funny thing is that illustration and painting don't always look that different. The primary difference is the intention and decisions behind why it was made. I believe an illustration is something that you make for someone else. It is a visual opinion, it has a goal. A painting is yours. It is not made to sell an idea, it is not made with the end in mind. The difference lies in why it was made, not how it was made.


Images by Mark Ryden and Paula Rego, two of my favorites.



No comments:

Post a Comment