Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Day Fifty-three: Artists are insecure, and marvelous.















Read this. It is long, but enormously valuable.


We don’t spend enough time thinking about the full story, and here it is, a father talking to his daughter and they are telling a very full story. I also LOVE it because, here she is, Kara Walker, one of a handful of contemporary art superstars, and she is talking about how insecure she is. In her head, she is not “there” and will never be there. As a teacher, an artist, a person, she is the critical voices in her head, just like I am, like my friends are. This after the mass of publicity and praise for the sugar baby. She just is, a person who makes art, who says things that touch a nerve in people, not by saying what she is asked to say, but what she has to say. I need to do that to. I have no idea how, but I will figure it out. I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment